Home Page

Neighborhood security

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Neighborhood security
« on: August 19, 2015, 01:43:57 PM »
We are apartment dwellers and that makes for a very insecure situation. 

I found this article about how an individual home owner can form a neighborhood group to increase security.

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/security/neighborhood-security-after-tshtf/#more-29122

Even in pre-SHTF days (now), the formation of a group with the intent of keeping one's neighborhood safe makes sense to me.

Read the comments below the article for some thoughts on what to do, now.

I would be interested in hearing about how an apartment resident might form such a group.

I should point out that, in my particular situation, there are perhaps two (2) people in the entire complex of about 80 units, that I would trust...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline Clay

Re: Neighborhood security
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 02:36:09 PM »
That is a good article.

I would say that in your case trust only comes with getting to know people. Do you ever have any type of gatherings within the complex?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 03:03:19 PM »
Re our particular complex, there is no "community" within.  The residents are mostly very close to being transients.  They don't stay long enough to say hello.  It is the kind of place you live in while looking for another place.  Corollary to that, there are a number of people here who are exactly the kind of people I want to avoid if the SHTF event occurs...  You know those stereotypical hordes of zombies?  They will come from this complex...  I expect to find a few Pod People in the basement. ;D

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline Clay

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 04:53:08 PM »
That is a bummer. I guess you need a plan B!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 07:56:28 PM »
Developing community in an apartment complex setting doesn't necessarily mean it's harder than if you're a homeowner in a neighborhood.  Many neighborhoods are inhabited by renters and occupants can come and go throughout the year.  Some homes are rental homes, and some are lived in by the homeowners. 

The advice that I would give to an apartment dweller would be no different than what I would give to a homeowner.  Do your best to get to know your neighbors.  You don't have to include your neighbors in your inner circle, but it is important to have an idea about what kind of people you are sharing your foxhole with.  Who are potential problems?  Who can you build trust with or turn to if you needed?  Even in apartment complex living, there are folks that are long-term residents.  I would seek those individuals out and get to know them too.  Most likely, they are home most of the time and will have very detailed information about the comings and goings of the complex.  You don't have to make everyone your buddy, but having an idea of the sort of folks you're dealing with in your immediate surroundings is very beneficial.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Keep calm and PREP on!

Offline Shortaxe

• Keep it simple and remember prepping is personal!
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 09:03:47 PM »

Exactly right Glenda.
You don't need a group nor would I form one with those coming and going but a Community would be the ticket. A community is not an easy target when you have each others backs and you don't have to share the same feed sack.

Developing community in an apartment complex setting doesn't necessarily mean it's harder than if you're a homeowner in a neighborhood.  Many neighborhoods are inhabited by renters and occupants can come and go throughout the year.  Some homes are rental homes, and some are lived in by the homeowners. 

The advice that I would give to an apartment dweller would be no different than what I would give to a homeowner.  Do your best to get to know your neighbors.  You don't have to include your neighbors in your inner circle, but it is important to have an idea about what kind of people you are sharing your foxhole with.  Who are potential problems?  Who can you build trust with or turn to if you needed?  Even in apartment complex living, there are folks that are long-term residents.  I would seek those individuals out and get to know them too.  Most likely, they are home most of the time and will have very detailed information about the comings and goings of the complex.  You don't have to make everyone your buddy, but having an idea of the sort of folks you're dealing with in your immediate surroundings is very beneficial.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 12:23:02 PM »
I have considered this in my apartment complex. It is simply a no go. The risks are too high for very few benefits. Primary Plan is to bug in, with minimal contact with others until I can scope out the situation and decide on which secondary bug-in plan to follow. If I feel the need to bug-out then Plan A is to barricade myself in until I can escape intact. Plan B is to call for retrieval from one of several group members. Plan C is to sneak out with minimal supplies with the intention of going back after the rest. Plan D is to abandon everything I cannot safely get away with. There are various permutations of the various plans to take into account specifics of the situations, and they dynamics as things happen.

Just my opinion.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)